Tuesday 13 July 2010

#51 Starter For Ten, by David Nicholls (Hodder Paperbacks)

To paraphrase Humphrey Bogart, of all the books in all the world, the Friend of the Wench and I both chose the same one. I trust readers will believe me when I say that there was nothing premeditated about our selection of David Nicholls’ One Day – after all, I don’t think I’ve spoken to him for about a month.

But I suppose it goes to show that coincidences do happen, and our contrasting reviews (you can read his blog here) at least proves there is still plenty of room for diversity in our respective challenges.

Until we get to my book 51, that is, which is one that the Friend of the Wench has already reviewed, and was in fact the one I was looking for when I came across One Day. Apologies if it’s all getting a bit incestuous.

I make no apologies for liking Starter For Ten, though, even if many would probably consider it a slightly more childish novel than Nicholls’ One Day. To some extent, they share a common theme, in that both books use university life as a starting point for life experience and personal growth (it sounds like I’m attending a careers interview…), but while One Day seems, to me at least, to be trying a bit too hard, Starter for Ten is more natural and therefore funnier and more touching.

Ostensibly about a shy boy’s pursuit of knowledge and a place in his university’s University Challenge team, it’s more about the trials and tribulations of growing up, and there were a few cringeworthy occasions when I had to momentarily put the book down rather than read what I knew was coming next, as the main character put his foot in it yet again.

You could argue the characters are simplistic and stereotypical, and probably put up a strong argument at that, but unlike One Day, there was a pervading sense of charm that allowed this to be easily forgiven in pursuit of the next chuckle.

It’s not a masterpiece, far from it, but it’s likeable, good spirited and warm at heart, and you could do a lot worse - if only because you're likely to learn something at the same time. Oh, and you can read what the Friend of the Wench made of Starter for Ten here.

So, rating time:

#51 Starter For Ten, by David Nicholls (Hodder Paperbacks) - 7/10

Next up: Breakfast at Tiffany’s, by Truman Capote (Penguin Books)

  • Click here for the full list of books so far, and their rating
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment