Sunday 7 March 2010

A birthday surprise

Fate, kismet or destiny. Whatever you believe, it’s all a bit of a coincidence.

It was my birthday on Thursday. I don’t mention this because I’m seeking attention, or presents - although I like presents a lot! – but rather because another major global event was happening the same day which relates to this 100-book challenge.

Yep, it was the 2010 World Book Day, a day of celebrating literature and encouraging children to read more through various initiatives, including the issue of vouchers to schools.

Well, they say ‘World’ Book Day. In fact, March 4th is only World Book Day for the United Kingdom and Ireland, which seems pretty contradictory. The World Book Day website says that in most countries, the celebration takes place in April – so much for a coordinated effort…

Enough about other people, though. It’s my birthday and I’ll read if I want to.

Which means I’m very grateful for two new books I received as presents: Hearts and Minds, by Amanda Craig and Black Lands, by Belinda Bauer. I’ve no doubt they will be featuring on these pages in the near future.

1 comment: